Thursday, July 21, 2011

They Call Me Andie

So, just a quick update on the Corvallis Fall Festival. The Kids Art Zone is coming along quite well. I met with my co-chairs, Caron and Sarah, on Tuesday night for some brainstorming and to make some silly puppets. Did you know that they call me Andie? They do! I love it! Sunday is going to be PUPPET day!!! We are going to make puppets using fabric, paper bags, contact paper, stickers, all sorts of recycled stuff (bottles, papers, socks, tennis balls, plastic spoons, etc.). Here is our inspiration for it all:


And to make it even better, a group is coming in of international women, who are going to cut and sew and put together multicultural dresses for said puppets. I cannot wait to see how it turns out. I have still to cut some fabric (we got a ton of it donated by Amy- who works(ed) for Nike); I found some lace for the dresses today; and I'm in charge of creating a puppet stage. At this point, I'm just not sure if I want to do all fabric and curtains, which could be very easy to string up either on some PVC pipe framing, or we could hang it on a string between the trees..OR..by getting a large piece of particle board, building a frame to stand it up, and painting it. I love the idea of having the board because I think it would make it look really official. But I don't think it would look as official unless it was painted really cool- and I can't paint. So I'm in search of a painter. Someone who can make it look really good, with spotlights and caricatures and Corvallis Fall Festival Puppet Show painted at the top. Do you know anyone who can paint like that who would want to volunteer their time??

Other activities in the Zone will be Spin Art (but of course), miniature golf, wood block sculptures, journal making, pinwheel making, hair braiding, marine themed pastel posters, bubble play, and I'm probably missing something here but you get the idea. It will be total chaos and I cannot wait.

So if you are in Corvallis September 24-25, stop by and see us! We will be having a blast I'm sure!

Here is my silly puppet I put together in about, oh, 30 seconds. I call her Suzanne.

Isn't she sweet? HA!

No comments: