Saturday, August 18, 2012

That one day we got yelled at

Want to hear a funny story? It happened a few months ago, just as the weather was finally starting to turn nice in June. Greg and I took a bike ride through our neighborhood. I actually brought my phone along to take some pictures of some of the buildings that I love so much.

This one is the side of an antique store. I love this building. 
It makes me happy every time I go past it. 

This is the building where the incident happened. It's an old train station, doc, something. Currently it has been housing "Blackberry Junction", you know, one of those things where a whole bunch of antique selling, country crafting, 50 vendors in the house type deals that only last a weekend at a time.

But, I love this building too. It has so much visual interest. The ivy creeping on the walls. The different colors of paint everywhere. Trees coming out of the roof in the middle of the building. The windows and doors , broken and fixed, and so random. I love it! So on this day I told Greg I wanted to stop and finally take some pictures there. And so we did. I got pretty much all I wanted and as we were getting ready to leave Greg found this door in the ground. A hatch if you will. So, naturally, he is curious and lifts it up to find a huge space underneath, filled with water and pipes and other "cool things". And he starts calling to me to come and take a look because it is cool or something. And as he is calling my name to come over, I see a man round the corner of the building. He looks mad. And then he starts yelling at us! As if we are teenagers about to tag, or homeless and think we just found a home in this hole in the ground.

"HEY! WHAT ARE YOU DOING???!!" "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!???"
"Uh, we were just taking some pictures, we'll be on our way now."
"YOU GET OUT OF HERE! THIS IS PRIVATE PROPERTY! THIS IS A BUSINESS! NO TRESPASSING!"
"Really? I didn't know this housed anything right now. Sorry,we're leaving!"

It's funny how even as an adult, when an old man comes and starts yelling at you, for no reason (ok, well, ya maybe Greg shouldn't have opened the hatch), how it suddenly makes you feel like you are 9 years old again. I mean, I have to say, there is not a single, not one, no trespassing, or private property sign on or around the place. It isn't fenced. It actually looks welcoming for picture taking bike riders such as ourselves. All very innocent. But there it is. We got kicked off the property. But NOT before I got a few good shots. :) 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny! Really lovin' these posts Miss Beauty! Great pics... especially the last one. xox M.

favorite aunt said...


i love old buildings! you're such a good poster! keep up the good work! i want to hear more stories about your everyday doings!! xoxox

Darcie said...

Hahahahhaaa!!! So funny! I feel the same way - whenever I even think I might get in "trouble" I go back to being 9 years old. Why is that? I'll ask my psychology teacher. Anyway - awesome photos love. I love old buildings like that too.