Monday, January 23, 2012

Knitting for a Cause



I spent all weekend knitting. It was quite nice, I must say- to sit and watch movies all day while my hands were busy at work. I'm not just knitting because I felt like it (which is reason enough, of course), I'm knitting for a cause- for a cure to Type 1 diabetes. The idea was spawned to make a blanket to auction off at the JDRF fundraising gala in May. I had just bought the cutest little pattern to make a "Beekeepers Quilt", so I showed Christine the pattern (she is the administrator of the company I work for, my only knitting partner in crime, and is on the JDRF committee in the Portland chapter).  Well, she loved it, and so the company is buying all of the yarn, and we (and other recruited knitters- hint hint) are going to shoot for 600 "honeycombs" by April. This is quite the undertaking! I don't know, for some reason I thought the pattern would move through a lot quicker. I did finish 6 this weekend..and it went a lot faster the more I completed. I was half thinking-what the heck have I gotten us into- but then recovered and realized that as long as I devoted as much time to it as possible- and especially if I could rope in enough women to make as many as they could- then all would be well. I mean- this blanket once done should bring in a lot o' money honey! It's my secret wish that it would be the highest ticket item at the auction and go for at least 20 grand. (a girl can dream you know!) 


This is now where I try to recruit YOU! Are you a knitter? Do you know anyone who is? Wouldn't it be fun to knit for a cause?! It's totally a service project doing something you like, at your convenience! At the end I would of course show you a picture of the completed project. Plus- I'll provide you with the yarn and pattern- as well as any help you need! Shipping included if you live out of state. Really- I don't mind mailing it to you at all, with a return envelope. I got you covered babe! Or dude- if you are a man and you for some reason reading my blog and happen to knit. dude- i got you covered. (that would be really weird tho) Anyway, I digress....so if you are interested in knitting for a cause/cure, then email me at nrphoto(dot)andrea(at)gmail(dot)com. Knitting for a cause is super awesome- just so you know. Ooh, and if you need service hours- this would use up so many of them! Ha! It's perfect really. 

2 comments:

Ann said...

You're awesome! I just love you, and all that you are! xox M.

aunt lynn said...

wish i knew how to knit! i would help you!